“The Faculty accepts the major portion of accountability for the quality of instruction and scholarship at this university. Therefore, it is fitting and proper that responsibility and authority, both primary and shared, for certain functions within the University be assigned and delegated to the Faculty and that the process for the discharge of these responsibilities and the exercise of this authority be defined.” ~ from the UNC Charlotte Faculty Constitution
Faculty governance in the College of Education is guided by the Faculty Constitution of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The Constitution may be found in the University’s Faculty Handbook.
This section of the College of Education Faculty Handbook will address governance issues specific to the College.
- College Faculty/Staff meet once a month, August-April. Meetings are generally held on Fridays, 9:30 a.m. – 10:50 a.m., with refreshments at 9. The Dean conducts and schedules all meetings. Those portions of the meetings that are devoted to faculty governance matters are conducted by the Chair of the College of Education Faculty Council.
- The College Leadership Council and the College of Education Faculty Council serve as agenda-setting bodies for these meetings. Any faculty or staff member of any committee or unit of the College may request that an item be placed on the agenda. Those requests should be channeled through a member of the Leadership Council or a member of the Faculty Council.
- Meetings have multiple purposes: information-sharing, strategic planning, problem solving, and action items such as committee elections and approval of Academic Plans. The College’s voting policy for action items is included in this section. Actions will be guided by Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Attendance at College meetings is a mark of University citizenship and is strongly encouraged.
Departmental and Program Meetings
- Each academic department in the College also meets once a month. Department meetings are scheduled and conducted by Department Chairs.
- Academic program meetings are scheduled either regularly or on an as-needed basis by Program Coordinators, in consultation with the Department Chair.
Committees of the College
- A list of standing committees of the College, along with this year’s membership roster, is included in this section. On that same list are the College’s representatives to University committees.
- The Professional Education Council is described in this section, along with this year’s roster.
- Many programs/ functions of the College are guided by Advisory Boards, with community representation. Advisory Board rosters are included in this section.