The UNC Charlotte Cato College of Education offers a variety of graduate certificates. A Bachelor’s degree is required for admission, and specific programs will have additional requirements.
- Initial licensure graduate certificates lead to an initial teaching license and, with further coursework, a Master’s degree. These programs are for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree or career in another area, and are interested in a career in an education field.
- Non-licensure graduate certificates are for individuals who are interested in learning about a specific topic or expanding their knowledge base that will assist them in furthering their career (i.e.; counseling)
- Add-on licensure graduate certificates are for individuals who have a teaching license and a Bachelor’s degree and would like to add an area to their current teaching license.
- Advanced licensure graduate certificates are for individuals who already have a teaching or school counseling license and a Master’s degree and are interested in adding another area to their current teaching license.
- Art Education (K-12)
- Child and Family Development (B-K)
- Elementary Education (K-6)
- Middle Grades Education (6-9)
- English/language arts, math, science, social studies
- Secondary Education (9-12)
- Comprehensive science, comprehensive social studies, English, math
- Special Education (K-12)
- Adapted curriculum, general curriculum
- Teaching English as a Second Language (K-12)
- Foreign Language Education (K-12)
- French, German, Spanish
Graduate Certificates in Teaching (Add-On Licensure)
Instructional Systems Technology (K-12)*
*Individuals do not have to have a teaching license in order to pursue this graduate certificate, but if they do, they can receive the 079 special endorsement.
National Board certification
Graduate Certificates in Non-Teaching Areas
Autism Spectrum Disorder (non-licensure)
Play Therapy (non-licensure)*
Substance Abuse Counseling (non-licensure)*
School Counseling (Advanced licensure)*
- Early Childhood Mental Health (B-K)
Quantitative Analyses (non-licensure)
*Must have Master’s degree in counseling, social work, or psychology
Graduate Certificates in School Administration
- Educational Administration (add-on Advanced licensure)