Licensure Programs for Master's Licensure

Master’s Degrees 

Students earning a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree complete a Graduate Certificate in Teaching (initial licensure) at UNC Charlotte, then take the additional courses that lead to a master’s degree and an advanced teaching license.

Masters of Education (M.Ed.) programs are for those who hold a bachelor’s degree and are interested in career advancement and becoming a leader in their field. Many of these programs lead to an advanced teaching license; find details for each program below.

The Master of School Administration (M.S.A.) prepares innovative, collaborative, effective, and reflective leaders who are prepared to develop school environments that ensure equitable and quality learning opportunities for a rapidly changing and increasingly diverse population and focus on improving the learning for all students

Master of Education (M.Ed.) (for advanced licensure)

Master of education (m.ed.) (non-licensure)

Master of School Administration (M.S.A.)

Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.)

A two-phase program providing both Initial and Advanced licensure

Master of Arts (M.A.)  (for advanced licensure)


  • School Counseling (Master's and post-Master's options available)
  • Addiction Counseling (Non-licensure track)
  • Community Mental Health  (Non-licensure track)
  • English Education collaborative program with Department of English
  • Mathematics Education (Master's licensure) – collaborative program with Department of Mathematics